Small town girl. Joins Navy. Sees the world. Flies in planes. Hunts submarines. Gets out of military and has 3 kids. Rejoins Air National Guard as an "old lady" of 38.


A humorous compilation of stories and lessons learned. Usually the hard way.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Unfulfilled Resolutions

I knew what I wanted.  A fabulous post-baby body.  I would have settled to make it up 2 flights of stairs without getting winded.  Or not get that “disciplining look” when I proudly exclaimed I could pack away a 5-lb Chipotle burrito.  I used to astound with my fabulous eating abilities.  Then my metabolism slowed- and it was not so impressive.

I got the “You look pretty good… for someone who had 3 kids.”  While I realize the intention was good, it’s not exactly a compliment.  It’s like saying, “you look good… for someone who’s had their belly stretched out 10 times its size, 3 different times.”  Not to mention the number nursing does for any plans to be a Victoria Secret model.  I’ll spare the details.

While I couldn’t yet bring myself to diet (I love food way too much) I made a vow to “get healthier”.  I would eat carrots along with my chocolate and I would run more.  I used to run.  Then life got crazy and I stopped.  When my sister decided to start training for the academy, I jumped on the opportunity to have a “workout buddy.”  Suddenly I had a reason to get up when “sleeping in” until 6am sounded so much better!

I anticipated pain.  What I didn’t foresee was looking forward to my morning conversations.  I’m not a quiet runner.  I despise awkward silence, so I usually try to fill quiet time with random stories that pop into my head.  Sometimes this is probably more awkward than the silences- however, they past the time, nonetheless.

I finally had a moment to catch up with my sister.  This was the most time I had spent with her without an argument in… well ever.  I love my sister- but like many families, we can only take each other in small doses.  However, running together brought us to an all new level.  We had a common goal.  Hers- to get into the academy.  Mine- to chip away at my ever-growing derriere.  Both of equal importance.

Strangely, I found myself looking forward to runs before the crack of dawn in the 16° darkness.  Didn’t see that coming.  There’s a chance I may never get my modeling contract with Victoria’s Secret, (I’m a bit short) however, I will never regret the extra time I’ve spent getting to know my sister.  Now, I must go finish my burrito.

11 comments:

  1. You have actually achieved a healthier goal than the fab post baby body. Plus you are working on a healthier relationship with your sister. Good luck to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined a gym last summer-- For the first time in my life-- and my workout buddy and I did the same thing! We get on the elliptical or treadmill and just rant on and on about men (we are doomed) and our jobs (we both work at a psych hospital). So, I totally relate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear- it's the only way I can workout! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very cool way to learn about somebody who you probably thought you knew really well before. (OK, you probably DID know her really well, but not at all in the same way).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always dreaded exercising with people because they would see that I'm hurting, that I'm not always funny and on-top-of-things and perfect.

    But then, it hit me--real friends love you just as much (if not more) for being exactly who you are. Red face and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What?? You're not perfect Nancy?!? I'm sorry, but this friendship cannot go on. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny how going after one thing we want can sometimes win us the jackpot! I make working out a priority, but I have to confess I don't really look forward to the process, just the feeling I get at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can talk and run? Astounding!!! I would be laid out on the ground, trying to use my inhaler. Exercise-induced asthma--the bane of every workout program I've ever attempted. I can walk for days, but running and stairs kill me.

    I enjoyed reading this very much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stairs ARE killers! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete